I was fortunate to be introduced to IEW at the beginning of our homeschool journey and I am forever grateful. IEW is my go-to recommendation whenever someone asks for the best writing curriculum. After reviewing several others, I can honestly say it's the best. The Structure & Style courses take a unique approach to teaching writing that even the most reluctant of writers gain the confidence they need. And for students with natural writing ability, it enhances their skills and sets them apart. My oldest daughter, now in college, credits the skills she learned through Structure & Style and the Fix It! Grammar curriculum to her excelling in her English courses. In fact, she is using those skills as an editor for the closed caption department on campus.
If you are new to IEW, I highly recommend starting with Teaching Writing: Structure & Style. This course will empower you as a parent to teach the Structure & Style method of writing. Of course, the Structure & Style for Students comes with video lessons that are amazing, so you can always start that way, which is how we started. Once you're comfortable with the Structure & Style method, the theme-based writing units are a lot of fun to work through. We enjoy using them to complement our history studies.
The other IEW product I cannot live without is Fix It! Grammar. I love the concept of teaching grammar as students would come across it in reading. Kids enjoy the stories and get exposure to great literature while learning grammar concepts in 5-10 minutes a day. It's an easy addition to the day.
Honestly, I have not tried an IEW product I didn't love.
- IEW.com/free-spelling – Learn how to spell with an auditory, mastery approach that works! This link gives free access to the talk Spelling and the Brain, the first lesson of The Phonetic Zoo Spelling course (Levels A, B, and C), and The Phonetic Zoo Teacher’s Notes e-book PDF.
- IEW.com/free-pal – Teach language arts to primary grade children (grades K–2) using the Blended Sight and Sound method. Get a free sample of Printing with Letter Stories to try on your own!
- IEW.com/theme-based – Find out more about IEW's theme-based writing books.
- IEW.com/magalog – View or download a digital copy of IEW's magazine catalog.
- IEW.com/podcast – Listen to IEW's weekly podcast, The Arts of Language.
- Sign up to receive IEW's monthly newsletter and blogs.